Glut of Occurences

Taking on the world one word at a time.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

New Ideas

I had a great Tuesday night. The only thing that could have made it better would have been being in two places at once. I needed that time-thingy Hermione had in Prisoner of Azkaban.

The other night I was looking for "What else is out there?" Or possibly, "What goes bump in the night?" I surfed Wikipedia and distilled it down to a smaller list. I just want something different. (Basically because I have separate vampire and werewolf stories right now.) I have an idea for a heroine and I needed a world to build that she could mold to.

Anyway, I was looking through my American Legends and Folktale books and found a great idea. I'm sufficiently stoked about it. I'm still trying to work the idea out in my head (and on paper). It does fall into one of those categories on the list, but is different enough with a "local" twang that I think it's a rare idea. It's not quite ready for me to share yet. I want to nail more things down before I do.

I have a question: How many projects (stories, etc.) do you work on at one time? Do you have all these other ideas, but only focus on one thing at a time?

2 comments:

witchofbreithla said...

So glad to hear you've come up with a new idea. It's a great feeling, isn't it? Personally, I'm working on actually writing three different stories right now. I should be finishing up my NaNo story tomorrow (yay!). I'm co-writing something with a friend. I'm also a little over a year into the 2YN class, and I highly recommend it. I have learned a lot from Zette in the class, as well as some new ways to look at things. Good luck with your stories!

Kalayna Price said...

Oh yeah, that time-thingy Hermione had would make life a whole lot better. (Or a whole lot more complicated. Think about how fast you would age...)

Congrats on the new idea, especially one with a rare legend attached!

A to your Q: Personally I try to focus my attention on only one WIP at a time. Working on one project lets me pour all my available time into it and helps my voice and characters stay distinct instead of bleeding into multiple works. That said, I accidentally started working on a second manuscript recently. I'm suppressing it currently, trying to make it wait its turn, but when full scenes come to me,I do get jot them down so I don't lose them. So, there is my contradictory answer. Sorry!